Monday, August 11, 2014

Curtain Make-over

One of the first things I did when I moved was put up a curtain at the side door that leads to the outdoors. Directly across from it is the bathroom and I like to go in and out without opening and closing the door every time it's used. Hanging draperies was a hurry-up and very temporary job...I just didn't know what was going to replace it.
This is how it looked for the first six months. Not very inspiring but it covered the window and the door was seldom used.

I do love thoughts that come out of nowhere!

I went to a local store, bought a simple white pull-down tension rod curtain and was good to go. Except it was too white and too plain. Out came the sharpies! I started with one stripe at the bottom of the curtain to add some oomph but decided it needed two more stripes to complete the look. From there I thought of diagonal stripes.
I gathered my supplies and started marking with the pencil. The board I used was approximately 2.5 inches wide but any size can be used. After I penciled the marks in (which erase easily) I traced over them with the sharpie.

Ta-da!
After I hung it I thought of placing buttons below the three straight lines. I first used a craft glue but they quickly popped off. They're staying on with hot glue but I may possibly tie them on knot them from the front. This was approximately a two-hour project and because I'm a one-of-a-kind gal, I was glad there wasn't a dozen to do!
Then I got the idea to paint the mirror black to match which was a nice improvement. I also had two rolls of wrapping paper I found at TJmax that had an old world map print in black that would look great on the wall. After doing an internet search to use wrapping paper as wall paper decided to go for it. I found glue dots in the scrap booking section to put it up. I love the look!
The paper is loose but until I find a black and white wallpaper I like it will stay on.

What I would do differently:
Use a new sharpie.
Measure where the center is to start the lines right. 
(It was sheer luck mine came out okay!)

Simple but dramatic!

~ Esther




No comments:

Post a Comment